Monday, June 3, 2013

Mermen on Stage: Interview with Angel the Little Merman

In 2012 I attend Mer-Palooza, a convention for Merfolk and the Mer-Lifestyle. I meet many people and some I have the privilege to call my friends to this day. One such friend is Daniel but most people know him as Angel, The Little Merman.  Like most Merfolk, Daniel fell in love with Disney’s The Little Mermaid and of course, Splash. But it wasn’t until High School that his passions and talents would emerge, learning about Marina, The Fire Eating Mermaid and seeing how she took her passions and turned them into a career, only fueled his desires. Over the years to come Daniel, befriended Marina and many other Mermaids, began to develop his Merman character, and honed his talents.  In 2008 Broadway released “The Little Mermaid” and Daniel began creating the tail he would come to be known for. Angel, The Little Merman was born and he stepped into Mer-Palooza and my life wearing his hand made Broadway inspired walking tail… Since then Daniel has continued to perform and create new tails his latest tail is inspired by the new costumes from the revamp stage production of the Little Mermaid, in which the mermaids doesn't skate on flapping tails but they fly with flowing fins.

I am very interested in you as an acting, costume designing, Merman. Tell me anything that pertains your theater work and shows!

Meridian: Where did learn to sew and create costumes?

Angel, The Little Merman: Learning to sew and create these costumes was all coming from ambition. I had no one teaching me, and at the time I couldn't afford any sewing lessons. I know how to sew mainly because I use to make these little dolls for my collection, and me being a young high school student looking at these different costumes, I just felt "I have to make my own!"

Meridian: Tell me more about creating your Broadway Tail

Angel, The Little Merman:  The creation of Broadway Tail came from the obsession of the costumes that were being created for the Broadway production of The Little Mermaid. It really was a different approach on the stage presentation of what a mermaid is. For a costume designer it's so easy to create a walk-able mermaid tail and simply call it a day, and that was not the case for this. They learn the art form of gliding which is a whole lot like skating, and find a simple but effective illusion of seeing a mermaid tail move. Which earned a lot of respect from me and I felt I have to do that! There were early attempts, they weren't bad, but they weren't good either. It wasn't until the book on how they did the stage show came out and that became such a major BIG help for me! It's all about transparent fabric and snap rod wires... and of course Heelies! 
I had been in theater since middle school where I basically ditched studying art to learn drama and for me getting roles was SO limited and it still is today, because I have such unique singing voice. Most male actors have that "dashing, manly voice" and I have a high, husky voice for a tenor, that's why I idolize Frances Ruffelle. But it never stopped me from giving up, I go to audition after another, and I give it all I got.
The first major moment for doing theater was that in my senior of high school I was honored by the drama department at the time for: "Most Dramatic Performer" cause they always used to joke on the fact that not only I get dramatic on stage but also dramatic back stage. Looking back I found it quite humorous.

Meridian: What is like being a stage performing merman?

"...a spandex tail hand sewn and painted
 another labor of love project." 
Angel, The Little Merman: Being a stage performing merman was that wonderful idea, where I felt I could just mix two of my greatest obsessions and blend it into one and plus how often you would see a merman singing to Andrew Lloyd Webber. But really that was an important thing for me because as a performer creating their own character it's not an easy thing to do it takes a really long to do, until you could relate to him/her and find a relationship with him/her. Angel The Little Merman was a really long developed character for me cause I at the same time not only I'm mixing my favorite things but I want to make this person universal where anyone could like him. The name Angel came from the birth name I was given but I personally dislike it. So I decided to use it for my character to give it a positive light to it, "Little Merman" came mainly due to fact the that it honors my favorite red headed mermaid, but also the fact I'm a short little dude.


Meridian: What projects are you currently working on?

Angel, The Little Merman: At the moment I do have upcoming projects mainly all for my YouTube page one of the major ones is a series of shorts called: The Angel Shortz, and I'm not giving away too much of it just yet. But believe me it's Angel, The Little Merman as you wouldn't expect to see him. Of course there will be more swimming videos because I know a lot of young people enjoy seeing that. Theater wise, I'm planning to develop a one man show all devoted to mermen, I'm at the moment working on the script for it. It's a really short piece but at the same time I really want to make this a love letter to the merfolk community itself. I am currently looking for a composer for a really and I'm mean REALLY long in and out of developed project call: "Little Angel: The Musical Adventure" no merman here, but it's a rag doll and he's part of my "Angel Universe", Lol.
"inspired by the new costumes from the revamp stage
production of the Little Mermaid,
in which the mermaids fly with flowing fins." 
I just did a small local theater piece in the ending of April called: "Reliquary of Saturn" for one night only, it was created by our director: Chris Vila, it played off like a fever dream almost, and one point at the very beginning the room turns into a ocean and that's where Merman me basically comes and he's gives me an awesome punch line that I'm planning use "I'm NOT a mermaid! I'm a merman!" there was a last verse but I'm not saying that, no, no.
I feel I'm truly being honored/blessed right now, because since last year all the doors I've been working so hard to get to is finally happening. I made so many awesome friends in the merfolk community who understood what I wanted to do as performer and give me such glowing encouragement, and it's coming from the people I consider my heroes: Thom, Marina, and the other's and that's something I rarely get in my life other than my family so it meant a whole lot to me. I'm so grateful for it. Meridian, thank you so much for giving me this time to answer your question this means a lot to me. And anything to support thy fellow merfolk!

As anyone can tell Daniel is a talented and kind creature, if you would like to stay in touch, get advice, or just see what Daniel is currently working on you can follow him at…
Make sure you stop by Merman Minerals.com to check out all the products from shave creams to shampoos, this stuff isn’t for the Mermaids! Merman of the Month Contest in now in full swing, swim on over to Merman Minerals Facebook page to vote for your favorite Hunky Merman or Sultry Pirate.

Love, Peace, & Mermaids,
 Meridian

Things to Look For this Month!
“Merman in Lore and History”
“The Men behind the Mermaids: Tail Makers”
“Merman Minerals Review” and more blogs by Merman Ryan
“A Merman’s Guide to Preening”

Check back with Mermaid Talk for more blogs, photos, and adventure!
Leave a comment, stay connected and be sure to follow Meridian Mer-Gyver at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/meridian.mergyver
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MeridianMerGyve


No comments:

Post a Comment