Saturday, June 14, 2014

Nuclear Mermaid Bath and Instruction

Earlier this week a friend sent me a link to http://www.funathomewithkids.com/ were this interpid and ingenious Mother has found safe and sometimes edible ways in to infuse the magic of black lights into her childrens lives.

HOAX
http://www.snopes.com/photos/food/mountaindew.asp
I am a sucker for all things glow in the dark and UV reactive, I just knew I had to experiment with it. I'll be honest I was sure it was going to turn out like glowing mountain dew hoax.  We tried it! We went out on special 7-Eleven run and everything. Only to find that it was an internet ruse. :(

When setting out to being this nuclear mermaid project, I had my doubts...how could a few vitamins and a black light really do this....


Well, it did! It freaking worked! All be it a little dangerous, this is how we went about creating my dream bath!

This is all you need! 



I used Balanced B-50 B-Complex pills, you have to make sure it the pills are high in THIAMIN. This bottle of pills continues 55% thiamin in each pill! It is actually the thiamin that makes the water glow, it won't work at all with some of the B vitamins, because they contain little to no thiamin.

Now, I have a whole room dedicated to UV reactive paint and decor, so I was not short on Black Lights. (Note: One Black Light is will work just fine, we needed more lights for the photos) My husband ended up rigging four of the bar Black lights around the tub...now here is the scary part. When working in and around water the last thing you want is extension cords, cables and bar lights hanging all around you. Fortunately for me, I married an electrician!

Torleif the Mad Electrician! 
He carefully taped, rigged, attached, and hung the lights around the tub. He taped up the random cables that were everywhere and covered portable power supply that had the light plugged into it with towels. As cautious and as safe as we could manage getting the bathroom, my husband and I both had our trepidations.




I put about 8 pills into a mortar and pestle and easily crushed up the pills, if you don't have mortar and pestle, you can put the pills into a ziplock bag and crush them with the bottom of a glass. Mix the powder into your bathwater and you are ready to glow baby glow!

 
 And, that's it! Seriously! I do insist that if you try this and you are working around water and electrical equipment, to be safe and smart about the whole adventure.
The aftermath! (Draining the tub)

Thanks for checking out my process! If you try this at home please post pictures to  https://www.facebook.com/TenTicklesArtPage

Love, Peace, & Mermaids,
Meridian Mer-Gyver

Check back with me for more blogs, photos, and adventure! Leave a comment, stay connected and be sure to follow Meridian Mer-Gyver at:

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/meridian.mergyver

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MeridianMerGyve


2 comments:

  1. That still scares me. This is awesome though..My daughter in law, the scientist

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never see's to amaze me! wow this is really way COOL!

    ReplyDelete