Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Men behind the Mermaids ~ Thom Shouse, the Mer-Papa who started it all!

Thom Shouse and the ladies of FinFolk mermaid tails!
  I could sit here and tell you all the amazing and wonderful things Thom has done. From his most famous contributions on the set of Splash to some of his not so famous, yet funny movie props that have been in everything from B Horror movies to Ron Jeremy movies!

I could tell you how he changed my life, how much I look up to him and how much I respect him for not only being a great tail maker but for being a father figure to me.  But it’s not about me or about the accomplishments Thom has made. It’s about Thom, a man who has touched the lives of so many, without ever knowing their names or faces.

At the beginning of this month Thom, Myself and my Landsman traveled to North Carolina for the first ever NC Mermaid Festival. It was an amazing event with the most amazing group of Merfolk to ever gather in one place! I got to see all the people who have admired Thom from afar, the people who were too scared or nervous to speak with, and the people who cried from joy when they got a chance to hug Thom and tell him their stories. That is what this blog about; it’s about Thom and the people who love him and I’m going to let them tell you their stories!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <3, , & ><((((º>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I met a gentleman named Thom Shouse at the NC Merfest gathering a couple of weeks ago. As someone who has some issues with movement, I use a walking stick to help me get around. Thom has a beautiful walking stick of his own, with a swimming mermaid for the handle. We discussed the trials and tribulations of being 'stick-walkers', and became friends. One of his many gifts is that he also gives some of the world's best hugs, and he is very willing to share! He tells wonderful stories, and is just so genuinely nice and caring (and he has a great twinkle in his eye!). I am so happy I got to meet him and I look forward to seeing him again someday!”  ~ Susan Gardner

The California Merfolk with Thom!
"Thom Shouse, you're an amazing and wonderful man. I feel so blessed to have met you! Your work has broken down a wall between dreams and reality for so many people, and I sincerely hope you feel the love of everyone around you. Thank you also, for making me brave enough to haul my tail onto the plane with me as a carry-on lol.... and for hugging me when I tried to shake your hand. “~ Lotus the Mermaid ~ Nicole Colchiski"

 “Thom is an approachable person who is warm, charismatic, and caring. Considering that he created the original tail from Splash and is a mermaid icon, I was happily surprised at what an unpretentious person he was. He could have been arrogant and snooty, but he wasn't at all.  He invited my husband and I to hang out with him in his hotel room during MerFest. I don't remember much of what we talked about, (I was just excited and honored to have this time) but I do remember feeling joyful in his presence. He was so encouraging about my mermaiding, and I felt that I could let my hair down, makeup off, and be myself around him without him judging me.  During our special visit, he invited us to his home and offered for me to try on his tails! He is so open and sweet like that! I never got to have a grandfather, but if I did, I would have wanted Thom to be him. He truly cares for all of us merpeople as if he were a grandfather. Since Merfest, he has sent me encouraging messages, and has taken the time to communicate with many of us.” ~Bonnie Lavender

Thom and Rania the Halifax mermaid
“I'd like to say, this is a highlight of my mermaid career. For those who don't know, this is Thom Shouse the tail man. He basically is the first to make realistic commercial tails. You have seen his work in many famous images, movies, TV shows, and commercials. Many celebs and even Olympians have worn his tails. He has a heart of gold, and truly loves people. I became his friend, and he read my book in a night. That's the highest compliment ever to me. Mermaid Rentals is his FB page.”  ~Rania the Halifax Mermaid


“Hi, just wanted to say that in my amazing Journey in becoming a Mermaid I had the honor of meeting Thom Shouse! How awesome such a down to earth person, wish i had more time to have spoken with him and look he even in boxed me! How cool is that! Hope to meet up again on our next NCMerfest event .”  ~Cookie Ramirez

Mer-Prince JV & Thom 
“This is a very emotional photo for me. In this photo, I'm sitting next to my hero. The person who sparked the fire in me to become something larger than myself, and who continues to inspire me every day. Thom Shouse, everyone. The man behind the years and generations of mermaid magic.” —Mer-Prince JV

Thom, guest, and Mermaid Veronica
“During my trip to the NC MerFest in the beginning of January 2014, I had the most wonderful blessing of getting to spend some time with one of the most kind and loving souls I've ever had the privilege to meet, Thom Shouse. I was lucky enough to end up sitting right behind him on our bus trip to the aquarium, and to share his company for both lunch and dinner that day, so my husband and I got to chat with him quite a bit!
Thom loves to share his passion for mermaids and the mer-community, as well as lots of stories from his many adventures it the special effects industry. He's also a very loving listener willing to share advice on mer-tail making, friendship and life overall. Spending even just a little time with this sweet soul will have you sharing tears of joy and the most wonderful bear hugs you've ever had. Thank you, Thom, for letting me into the wonderful world of your water-filled heart! The touching connection you shared with us, made the water spill out of every one's eyes! “ ~ Veronica Grace Serendipity Shimmy Fins

"I am so thrilled to have met Thom Shouse. It isn’t every day you get to know a person who is just as kind as he is talented, caring and generous. I mean his list of credits and notable celebs are to the moon and I will spare listing them because I am sure they were just as happy as I was at those times to share experiences, continued lifelong learning and talent and techniques beyond creativity and imagination. It takes a lot to touch the hearts of so many of the young and older as myself.  I am grateful to be a friend of Thom’s ..... Joy, hope, peace and the most important is love ya'll.” ~ The Grand m'ere Mermaid Connie

'My time with the King...'  by Merman Christian
Thom and Merman Christian 

The weekend of January 3-5 was one of the best I have ever experienced, both in general and as one of the few Mermen in the community.  Many tails were to be seen and heard, but the best were from the MerKing himself, Thom Shouse.  All my life I have loved everything about the ocean, I was the kid that would NOT get out of the tub!  I watched the 1984 film SPLASH so many times my parents had to replace it TWICE.  Daryl Hannah's orange tail stands out among all the others with its breathtaking style and flowing fins, and this beautiful work of art was created by Mr. Shouse, who with this design has been my number one inspiration for my own merman tails.  I had the pleasure of taking a bus trip to the aquarium with him and sat in amazement from all the great stories he had to tell about SPLASH and it's tv-sequel, Charmed, and so much more.  But it was the experience beyond the stories is what got to me.  Thom is a true giver with such a heart of gold. There was a brief point during the weekend when I saw Thom getting off the elevator and looking very under the weather, and he was more upset about letting everyone down than his own health.  I assured him how much myself and everyone loved him and that he needed to take care of himself.  I gave him a hug and walked him to his room.  Hours later when he was feeling better he thanked me for that, and that was such a great feeling, not to mention the night before he said he loved my tail that I had made.  When it comes to Thom Shouse one of the best words to describe him would be ETERNAL.  He is a man with as many gifts just as big as his heart, he has given to much to the community and to the overall idea of Mermaids, that I know will live on forever.  Thank you Thom for being a wonderful soul and our true MERKING!

Thom and Allie Causin (Lyrique the Mermaid)

"I got the incredible opportunity to sit and have the most wonderful conversations today with mer-papa, Thom Shouse!! I treasured every story he shared: He made me laugh, he made me cry (happy tears!!!), and he is probably one of the most beautiful and magical souls I've encountered!!" ~ Allie Causin


~~~~~~<3, , & ><((((º>~~~~~~~

And there you have it! A whole community brought together by one man’s craft and held together by his heart! As friends, family, or Pod it is the bounds we make, the friendship we gather, and the love we share that will keep this community a float!


    The moral of this story: It’s not about the tails; it’s about the heart!


Love, Peace, and as Always Mermaids!
Meridian Mer-Gyver

If you would like to catch up with Thom, check out his pages!
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thom.shouse1?fref=ts
and
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Rentals/373445526043647
Website:http://www.mermaidrentals.com/

Stay connected and be sure to follow Meridian Mer-Gyver at:
 Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/meridian.mergyver
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MeridianMerGyve
Blogger:

http://meridianmer-gyver.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. great JOB! Meridanmer-Gyer Outstanding, cant wait to see you both again next NCMERFEST

    ReplyDelete